You can buy a personal certificate card from Auðkenni for 1.500 kr.
Personal certificate cards provide a great way for secure digital authentication for websites as well as a way to digitally sign documents.
You can apply for a personal certificate card here.
The period of validation for personal certificate cards is 1 year.
Here is how you apply for and activate personal certificate cards:
- Fill out an application on our website, fill in your Icelandic personal identity number, e-mail and registration site.
- You pay for the card on our site.
- The certificate card will go into production and sent to a registration site that you chose in your application.
- As soon as the card is ready at the chosen location, you will receive an e-mail containing the card number and expiration date.
- Enter the card number and expiration date into the online form at your online bank to receive a PUK number. A step-by-step guide for all Icelandic online banks can be found here.
- Go to the registration site, bring with you the PUK number and formal identity papers such as a driver's licence or passport. You will choose a personal 6 digit PIN for the card that is used for digital authentication and signatures.
To use the certificate card you will need to download the Nexus Personal software from Auðkenni's website. You will also need a card reader that can be bought at all registration sites. For authentication only the first 4 digits of the PIN are used while signatures require the full 6 digits.